A new approach to workforce planning is urgently required.

Log In Forums Workforce Planning A new approach to workforce planning is urgently required.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dean Royles
    Participant

As we complete the annual planning round it is clear that the approach to workforce planning is not working. Where the activity demands are set and the control total pre agreed, workforce just becomes a balancing figure in triangulating finance, activity and workforce. It bears no resemble beck to what is planned or what is needed.

Clem Price
    Participant

I’m not sure whether it is the approach that needs changing, rather the importance that organisations place on longer term planning rather than more reactive and short term planning. I think organisations’ understanding need to change – they still tend to want it to really be a costed spreadsheet of staffing numbers and not the more difficult and uncertain approach of lifting the lid on what needs to change. I think there is a massive OD exercise here

Jo Owens
    Keymaster

Clem, i absolutely agree with you, workforce planning is about transforming the workforce in response to the changing needs of the population and indeed the ever demanding poor supply of the workforce. It is not about numbers but the changes required in relation to culture, location of treatments and the competencies of the workforce to deliver moving away from how many nurses, doctors, AHPs etc

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.